Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A couple mini-projects....

I finished the sweater... and I really like how it came out.  I will definitely make this pattern again.  I will put up pictures of that shortly.

Over the past few days, I have been working on a couple of projects for my fall Etsy collection and also have had another article published on the Naughty Knitterz website regarding the differences between your local LYS and the Big Box craft stores like Michaels and JoAnn fabrics.

The newest project that I've done has been a unisex cowl in a great shade of army/olive green.  I really like how this one came out, and if you like it too, here is the pattern!  Please feel free to make a bunch to share with family and friends, charities too, but please don't sell the pattern.  Thanks!


Easy Unisex Cowl

What you need:
Size 8 circular needle
Worsted weight yarn (in two colors if you want a contrasting band)

What you're going to do:
CO 124 (Note: I've had a comment saying that it didn't work with 124, and changed it to 122, and then received another comment saying that no, 124 was correct.  I did 124 and it was fine.  :))

Join and work in a K2, P2 rib for 5 rounds (or more, if you want a wider banding on it)
Knit 1 round with first yarn type, change to contrast yarn

The majority of this project will be worked in a half-linen stitch.

Pattern Rows:
Round 1: *K1, bring yarn to front, sl 1, bring yarn to back, repeat from * to end of round.
Round 2: Knit.
Round 3: *Bring yarn to front, sl 1, bring yarn to back, k1, repeat from * to end of round.
Round 4: Knit.

Continue these four rounds until cowl reaches desired width.  I did about 5 inches.
Change back to first yarn, Knit 1 round
Work in K2, P2 rib for 5 rounds, Bind off.

This is a super easy pattern that goes very quickly once you get into a rythym.  It results in a loose fitting cowl that slips over the head, with a cool, nubby texture.  Enjoy!

*Disclaimers, etc:  This pattern  (not the stitch pattern) was made up on the fly as I was trying to use up some extra wool yarn from another project.  Any similarity to previously existing patterns is coincidental.  Thanks!*



7 comments:

  1. Just curious, why was the cast on number changed from 124 to 122 when you need a number divisible by 4 to work a 2x2 rib?

    I love this pattern, btw, I started it this morning, casting on 124. I've been looking for a pattern to make for my boyfriend, who "doesn't really wear scarves", but then saw a neck-warmer length one that I have and asked me to make him one. :) I think he's really going to to be really happy with this. I'm doing it in Knitpicks Andean Silk, Chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had another comment saying that it didn't work at 124 - that it wound up with 2 of the same sections at the beginning of the round - so I changed it. I thought I was right! :) (But then again, it's entirely possible for me to miscount at 2am) I would love to see pics! Pop 'em up on Ravelry when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Quick question, what was the yardage for this project?
    I would love to make this out of some of black alpaca that I spun myself and I am nervous that I will not have the yardage /:

    This is great for guys...hopefully my dad will like it :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah... it took less than a skein/ball of Patons classic... just go until you run out! That's why I used a contrast color for the edges :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun. I am making for my adult niece

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doing this in Debbie Bliss cashmerino Aran. For my niece. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful

    ReplyDelete

I want to read your comments... all of them, so that is why I like to moderate! :) Thanks for understanding!