Monday, August 16, 2010

Two Other things for Today....

I love when my Etsy site gets random clients.  It makes me happy.  Especially when after they purchase something from me, they then decide to order more!  I like a) selling things, obviously but b) I like finding and trying and modifing other patterns.  For example... here is another freebie pattern that I am offering up.  It is a single cable scarf, done in a Super Chunky [6] yarn on size 13 needles.  You can find the story behind it on the actual .pdf, but suffice it to say, I am getting better at this pattern stuff!  :)

Single Cable Chunky Pull through Scarf - Level: Advanced Beginner (due to cables)


This is a take off on the Lion Brand Pattern “His & Hers Easy Cabled Scarves” that can be found in their “University Knits” booklet. I didn’t like how wide the scarf turned out for the women’s version, I also like my cables spaced closer together. The original pattern calls for fringe at the end, which I don’t include, but you are welcome to add. I also added the pull through, merely because with a super bulky yarn, it can get hard to tie under jackets. This is also easily scaleable for a child – just use a worsted weight and smaller needles…

A few abbreviations to know:

C6F – Slide the next three stitches to a cable needle, let it lay in front of your work, knit the next three stitches, then knit the stitches off of the cable needle.

Materials:

Size 13 or 15 (US) needles

Your favorite Super Bulky [6] yarn… this one is pictured in the Lion Brand Hometown USA yarn, but will also work with everything from a Malabrigo Super Chunky to a super chunky organic cotton (all depends on how much you want to spend).

Alright, Alright! Here are the instructions:

CO 18

Odd Rows 1-7: P2, K2, P2, K6, P2, K2, P2

Even Rows 2-8: K2, P2, K2, P6, K2, P2, K2

Row 9: P2, K2, P2, C6F, P2, K2, P2

Row 10: Same as Even Rows

To Make Pull Through (close up pictured at right):

After 5 pattern repeats, work rows 1-4.

On Row 5: P2, K2, P2, BO 6, P2, K2, P2

Row 6: K2, P2, K2, CO 6, K2, P2, K2

Continue with rest of pattern repeat

After Pull Through is completed, continue pattern repeats until scarf reaches desired length, BO in pattern (I’ve found it looks the best if you BO on a row 6 – then there is half a cable repeat, just like at the beginning), and weave in ends.

Notes, Disclaimers, etc.:

I am not claiming this as a completely original work. I have merely altered it from an existing pattern that wasn’t to my satisfaction. Please do not sell this pattern, as the original is available from Lion Brand, although you are certainly welcome to sell objects made from it, as stated on their site. I would appreciate if you give me or my blog a shout out, should you choose to use it. Thanks and enjoy!



The other thing for today, I put these little stitch markers up on Etsy last week, and oddly haven't really gotten much interest in them... I can't imagine why, as they are AWESOME and really not expensive at all!  Check out the full details on the Etsy site by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to read your comments... all of them, so that is why I like to moderate! :) Thanks for understanding!