Friday, December 9, 2011

The Death Sock... as in, this sock will be the death of me

I like doing test/sample knitting.  It is a break from the usual orders or Etsy items, and it gives me a chance to not only try a new pattern, but also a new yarn.  After the discussion this week regarding test knitters and payment, here's my two cents:  Working for actual payment is cool, working for trade (i.e. free yarn) is cool too; and sometimes, doing it out of the goodness of one;s heart for a pal is cool too.  I just think there needs to be a balance between the three.

In any event, a few months ago, I agreed to do some sample knits for Lorajean of Knitted Wit (you can read more about her and her schtuff in previous posts).  The first was the Virginia cowl with her Bulkan - gorgeous stuff.  Great color, great feel. I also signed up to do the 'Love Letters' sock, designed by Irish Girlie Knits.  Looked at the pattern and thought, "Cool.  A cuff that stops, a pattern down only part of the foot, Rad. I'll knock this out in no time."

Irish Girlie Knits 'Love Letters'
It is now three months later, and I just (finally) finished it.  I'm not sure exactly what happened during that first part of the sock.  The lace pattern isn't that difficult, the yarn is great, size 1dpns are fine... I don't get it!  In doing that first part of the cuff, I think I redid that first pattern repeat about SIX times.  Granted, yes, I was working on it at night, but I don't think it was any more challenging than Cookie A's 'Monkey' and I did that one practically in my sleep! 

Once I got past the cuff (which carried the lace pattern around the entire leg), the rest was a piece of cake.  I would certainly make this pattern again, with a few modifications.  I think I would do the whole sock like the foot is done, with just one needle carrying the pattern the whole way down, bump up the needle size to a 2 (personally easier for me to work with), and reduce the no. of cast on stitched to adjust for the needle bump.  I was really pleased with the end result.  I think the yarn and the pattern work really well together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to read your comments... all of them, so that is why I like to moderate! :) Thanks for understanding!